Tuesday 29 October 2019

Easter Sunday

Mum and dad came round again and this time it was my turn to cook dinner. We spent the day in the garden as the weather was beautiful. Dinner was traditional Lamb...with a twist.


Lamb with a Red Wine Sauce

This is a recipe I have had for many, many years. In the original recipe it was made using Lamb Noisettes, but I use a leg of lamb for five. If using a leg then cook on low for about four hours 
Make holes in the lamb with a sharp knife and push in slices of garlic and small sprigs of Rosemary. Drizzle with a little oil and cover. Place in a hot oven and turn down low after about five minutes. About half hour before serving remove cover and turn up oven. 
If your making the potato recipe below you need the oven at 220C (gas 7)  anyway.
For the sauce
Rosemary
6tbsp red wine
6tbsp lamb stock
1tbsp redcurrant jelly
2tsp tomato puree
Add the above to a saucepan and stir until jelly has melted then leave to simmer for about five minutes.
Now I like to thicken my sauce by adding a little cornflour.

I serve this with a Potato bake
1 1/2 lb potatoes scrubbed and thinly sliced, put in boiling water and boil for five minutes.
Drain and rinse with cold water. 
Spread out in a low sided dish and pour over 1/2 pint of single cream
Dice up 1/2 oz butter and dot on potatoes. 
Add seasoning and bake for 20 minutes.

We have this with asparagus and peas.

My final recipe is for fairy/cup cakes

When making cakes the easy way (apart from a cake mixer which is a must for me) you need to work out the ingredient amounts. 
So for each egg (large) you want 2 oz of the other basic ingredients.
For this occasion I'm using 
5 eggs
10oz caster sugar
10oz self raising flour
10oz margarine

I also added a few drops of Almond Extract (always try to get extract and not essence as essence is not the real thing)

Mix sugar, margarine and Almond extract until the colour has changed to a light cream colour
then add flour and egg as follows
one egg (I always crack my eggs into a cup just in case on is off) 2oz flour then mix
Repeat until you have used up your eggs and flour.

















No comments:

Post a Comment