Wednesday 14 November 2018

Holiday in Brighton... yes, we had some Oops moments PART ONE

PART ONE
Last week we went on a short break to Brighton. We stayed at the Holiday Inn as usual and the staff remembered us (funny that) no problems this time with having 'our' room happy to say. So checked in and had some lunch at the Stock Burger. Now mum and I are not burger people but the burgers here are really very good. 
After lunch went for a little shopping in town. Then back to our room and unpack next stop China Garden the best Chinese food EVER!
So all going well (too well) back to our room and unwind watching TV soon we were ready for bed. It was just after 10 in the evening and, as the weather forecast had said the wind was howling as a major gale blew in. We have a room with a balcony looking out to sea so it was pretty noisy. A chair was banging against a wall I thought it would be a good idea to move it. Opening the door and the wind took my breath away but with a little determination I walked along the balcony and retrieved said chair putting it on it's side against the wall so it no longer blew around. Then turning I had to walk into the wind, now I'm no little person but the wind buffeting against me I just could not move! It took all my strength to make it back into the room.  
Now ready for bed I sent the girls to clean teeth and was just turning towards bed when I heard a 'plop'? Puzzled I looked towards mum who confirmed she to had heard it....then there was another...and another. Walking over towards the door and looking up it was clear to see ....water was coming through the ceiling. Now we were not on the top floor but as I had said before we was at the front of the hotel with balconies. I guessed that the water was some how coming through from the balcony above? It was!
Next we phone down to reception and they found two rooms for the night Sophie in with mum and Amy in with me. the rooms were adjacent but not adjoining so 11 at night and we are wondering the corridors in our night clothes!!! In the mini room looking out at the side of the hotel the wind was still howling and rattling the windows, I thought I would turn on the TV and block out the noise a little so Amy could sleep. By now all this had got to much for Amy and she was pretty upset. TV DID NOT WORK! Phoned down to reception and a guy came up but could not make it work, he offered us ANOTHER room but by now I had had enough and just wanted to rest or even sleep? 
Anyway in the end Amy got to sleep and I think I must have slept a little. 
In the morning we returned to our room and checked out the damage. It was still dripping but it had stopped raining, even if the wind had not stopped.



Towels very wet, but we did not want to move rooms so hotel gave us the adjoining room with a connecting door. So mum and Sophie had the 'wet' room with Amy and I sleeping next door. The ceiling was fixed that day and no more water, as to us we had a wonderful day shopping in the wind but no rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment